California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Animal Specimen Salvage Issues

No one, even a holder of a Scientific Collecting Permit (SCP), can pick up road kills, native bird feathers, or collect owl pellets or other animal parts without a SCP authorizating the salvage of dead amphibians, reptiles, birds, and/or mammals.

If you salvage any Standard Exception species, you must contact the Department at (916) 653 - 4875 within two business days. The telephone number also is given on the back of the permit in the text of authorization 10. The disposition of the specimen(s) is at the discretion of the Department.

Salvaged specimens should be deposited in a public scientific or educational institution. In general, if open to the public, a depository doesn't need to have a permit to possess the specimens. However, we suggest that each specimen received is accompanied by documentation of legal take.