- Fisheries Restoration Grants
- Coho Salmon
- Chinook Salmon
- Heritage and Wild Trout
830 S Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Coho Salmon Glossary
- Stage in the life cycle of salmon following emergence from the egg stage, characterized by the presence of a yolk sac attached to the body.
- See, What is an Anadromous Fish?
- Seaward migration of salmon from their natal streams to the ocean. Also called “outmigration.”
- The number of eggs produced by each female salmon.
- Stage in the life cycle of salmon following the “alevin” stage, characterized by the loss of the yolk sac and beginning of feeding on external prey.
- Stage in the life cycle of salmon following the “fry” stage, characterized by the presence of dark vertical bands on the side of its body.
- A nest created using powerful rapid movements of the tail to dislodge the gravels, in which the female deposits her eggs.
- Stage in the life cycle of salmon following the “parr” stage, characterized by hormonal and other physiological changes that prepare the fish for its seaward migration and life in salt water, the loss of parr marks, and appearance of a silvery color.