Nongame Wildlife Program
- General Plant & Animal Information
- Plant and Animal Pictures
- Collecting and Research Take Permits
- Wildlife Viewing
- Contact Information
Applying for a Scientific Collecting Permit
The process of issuing a Scientific Collecting Permit is centered around the Department's License and Revenue Branch (LRB). Applications are available from LRB:
- by requesting one in writing from License and Revenue Branch;
California Department of Fish and Wildlife,
1740 N. Market Blvd.,
Sacramento, CA 95834,
- by requesting one by telephone by dialing (916) 928-5849,
- or by downloading one from SCP Application (PDF)
An application comes with a packet of information about how to fill out the application, the possible permit conditions and authorizations, and lists of species for which additional permits may be required. Before you fill out the application, you need to read both sides of the application. The back of the application lists the Standard Exception species, mandatory permit conditions, and discretionary permit authorizations.
For more information, see the overview of the the Collecting and Research Take Permits process.