California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Collecting and Research Take Permits

Research Take Permits

A permit is required to take, collect, capture, mark, or salvage, for scientific, educational, and non-commercial propagation purposes, mammals, birds and their nests and eggs, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, and invertebrates (Fish and Game Code Section 1002 and Title 14 Sections 650 and 670.7). These activities require a Scientific Collecting Permit (SCP), and you need to pay a fee for it. The take of some animals may also require a Memorandum of Understanding or other additional written authorization from CDFW.

The collection, possession, transplantation or propagation of rare, threatened or endangered plants or manipulation of their habitat requires a Rare, Threatened or Endangered Plant Collecting Permit or Plant Research Permit. These permits are free and are required for activities conducted on both private and public land.

Take of threatened or endangered species incidental to an otherwise lawful activity requires a Section 2081(b) permit.

All species may be taken for scientific purposes but not all may be taken for educational, non-commercial propagation, or management purposes (See Table 1). This is determined by whether a species is classified as a fully protected species, candidate, threatened, or endangered species, species of special concern, a standard exception species, an endangered or rare plant species, or other native species (See Table 2).