- About OSPR
- C-Plans, Drills & Exercises
- Financial Responsibility
- Legal & Regulations
- Marine Safety
- Local Government Outreach
- News & Publications
- Oil Spill Response Orgs.
- Restoration (NRDA)
- Science & Wildlife
Report Oil Spills
800-852-7550 or 800-OILS-911
Office of Spill Prevention
1700 K Street, Suite 250
Sacramento, CA 95811
Torch / Platform Irene Oil Spill
- LOCATION: Offshore and coastline, northern Santa Barbara County
- DATE: September 28, 1997
- INCIDENT SUMMARY: An undersea pipeline, linking the offshore oil platform Irene with the mainland, ruptured and released oil into the ocean. The oil formed surface slicks and washed ashore, primarily at Surf Beach, Vandenberg Air Force Base.
- RESPONSIBLE PARTY: Torch Operating Company
- NATURAL RESOURCE TRUSTEES: California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife; California State Lands Commission; United States Fish and Wildlife Service; United States Dept. of Defense (Vandenberg Air Force Base)
- RESOURCES IMPACTED: Birds (over 700 estimated killed); sandy and rocky shoreline habitat; recreational beach use.
- SETTLEMENT DETAILS: The trustees settled the NRDA portion of the case for $1.9 million.
- STATUS OF RESTORATION: October 2007 Final Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment complete; restoration projects in progress.
- Final Torch Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment (PDF)
- Scoping Document for Restoration Planning For Public Review and Comment (PDF)
- April 19, 2006 Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment Workshop Agenda (PDF)
Administrative Record Index:
The Torch Trustee Council Administrative Record can be viewed at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office located at 2493 Portola Road, Suite B, Ventura, CA 93003, telephone number (805) 644-1766.
Web: Contact Web Editor
Page Last Updated: December 3, 2012