- About OSPR
- C-Plans, Drills & Exercises
- Financial Responsibility
- Legal & Regulations
- Marine Safety
- Local Government Outreach
- News & Publications
- Oil Spill Response Orgs.
- Restoration (NRDA)
- Science & Wildlife
Report Oil Spills
800-852-7550 or 800-OILS-911
Office of Spill Prevention
1700 K Street, Suite 250
Sacramento, CA 95811
Kure Oil Spill
- LOCATION: Humboldt Bay and Humboldt County Coast.
- DATE: November 5, 1997
- INCIDENT SUMMARY: The M/V Kure collided with a loading dock in Humboldt Bay, rupturing a fuel tank and spilling several thousand gallons of bunker fuel oil into the bay.
- RESPONSIBLE PARTY: Kure Shipping S.A. and Patt Manfield Co., Ltd.
- NATURAL RESOURCE TRUSTEE: California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, California State Lands Commission, United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
- RESOURCES IMPACTED: Birds (3,950 estimated killed, including 130 Marbled Murrelets); habitat (saltmarsh, mudflats); human recreational uses (sea kayaking, camping, surfing).
- SETTLEMENT DETAILS: The trustees settled the NRDA portion of the case for $4.82 million. This includes $2.42 million for various habitat and recreational use projects, and a conservation easement for the EF Hunter and Big Mynot forest parcels, valued at $2.4 million.
- STATUS OF RESTORATION: Final Restoration Plan completed; restoration projects now in progress.
- Kure DARP Final Damage Assessment and Restoration Plan (PDF)
- Kure DARP Final Appendices (PDF)
- Kure/Stuyvesant Trustee Council News Update January 2013 (PDF)
Page Last Updated: September 19, 2013