- About OSPR
- C-Plans, Drills & Exercises
- Financial Responsibility
- Legal & Regulations
- Marine Safety
- Local Government Outreach
- News & Publications
- Oil Spill Response Orgs.
- Restoration (NRDA)
- Science & Wildlife
Report Oil Spills
800-852-7550 or 800-OILS-911
Office of Spill Prevention
1700 K Street, Suite 250
Sacramento, CA 95811
Guadalupe Oil Field Contamination
- LOCATION: Nipomo Dunes, San Luis Obispo County.
- DATE: Chronic, remediation in progress
- INCIDENT SUMMARY: At least 80 plumes of diluent, associated with leaks in pipelines that may have lasted for decades, were detected in and near the Guadalupe Oil Field at the Nipomo Dunes. These leaks have released an estimated 12 million gallons of diluent into the dunes, beach, groundwater, and Pacific Ocean.
- RESPONSIBLE PARTY: Unocal
- NATURAL RESOURCE TRUSTEES: California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife; California Coastal Conservancy.
- RESOURCES IMPACTED: Dune habitat; wetlands; groundwater; intertidal habitat.
- SETTLEMENT DETAILS: The trustees settled the NRDA portion of the case for $9 million.
- STATUS OF RESTORATION: Final Restoration Plan completed; restoration projects now in progress; see Final Restoration Plan for details.
Page Last Updated: July 1, 2011