Hunter Education Requirements
Accepted Proof of Hunter Education
- an annual California hunting license issued in any prior year
- a two-day nonresident California hunting license issued after the 1999/2000 license year
- a California certificate of hunter education completion or equivalency with a unique number imprinted on it ex: (AA00000) or a California hunter education certificate with no unique number imprinted and a California hunter education validation stamp affixed
- a certificate of successful completion of a California-approved hunter education course from any state or province: or
- a current hunting license or hunting license issued in either of the two previous years from any state, province, European country, or South Africa.
For more information, on hunter education requirements or hunter education classes, contact any CDFW License Sales Office or visit the CDFW Hunter Ed web site.
Purchasing Hunting Licenses Online
In order to purchase hunting items online, hunters must have proof of hunter education on file in ALDS. Hunters who have purchased hunting items via ALDS or applied during the last five years in the annual Big Game Drawing will have proof of hunter education on file. If you do not meet this criteria, you must provide proof of hunter education to a license agent or a CDFW license sales office, so your ALDS customer profile can be updated to reflect that you meet the hunter education requirement. Alternatively, you may contact CDFW via fax at (916) 419-7587 or e-mail LRB@wildlife.ca.gov and provide your personal identification, or GO ID and proof of hunter education. After your hunter education is updated in ALDS, hunting license purchases will be enabled for you now and in the future.