California Department of Fish and Wildlife

Red Lake Wildlife Area - Alpine County

fishing Deer Hunting Allowed boating Wildlife Viewing Quail Hunting Bow Hunting Allowed Hiking Bear Hunting Allowed
The symbols above are activities permitted on this Wildlife Area. Click for more info.

Location: Alpine County - one mile east of Carson Pass.

Phone Number: (916) 358-2900

Maps: Directional Map (PDF)    Topographic Map (PDF)

Area Regulations:

  • Camping is not allowed.
  • Trailer parking is not allowed in the parking lot.
  • Off-road motorized vehicles are prohibited on the wildlife area.

Access: The Wildlife Area can be accessed on both the north and east sides of Red Lake. The north entrance is located on State Highway 88, one mile east of Carson Pass. To enter on the east side, take Blue Lakes Road from Highway 88 to Red Vista Road. Parking is available at both locations.

Description: The area is a total of 860 acres. The vegetation surrounding Red Lake is characteristic of red-fir and lodgepole-fir forest. Open slopes are dominated by sagebrush with bitterbrush and serviceberry. Forestdale Creek and the other drainages around Red Lake are lined with willows and aspen groves. Common wildlife species include deer, coyote, jackrabbit, quail, flicker, warblers, red-tailed hawk, golden eagle, golden-mantled ground squirrel, marmot, and beaver.

Recreational Use: Type C Wildlife Area - no permits, passes, or reservations are required.

  • Fishing is allowed; species in Red Lake consist of brook trout and suckers. Forestdale Creek contains rainbow and brook trout.
  • Boating, hiking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing are also allowed.

Hunting: Hunting is allowed September 1 - January 31 for all legal species, and during archery deer season. Game species include Rocky Mountain mule deer, black bear, blacktailed jackrabbit, tree squirrel, mountain quail and blue grouse.

Facilities: None

PLEASE NOTE: Area regulations are subject to change. Special restrictions on recreational uses, hunt days and methods of take are listed in the current year's issue of Hunting and Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas, available at CDFW offices and where licenses are sold.

KC/WLB 08/09