- Comprehensive Wetland Habitat Program
- Ecological Reserves
- Wildlife Areas
- GIS Information
- Lands Inventory Fact Sheet
- Land Management Planning
- Staff Directory
- Articles from Outdoor California
Private Lands Conservation Programs
Notice of Determination for the Final Land Management Plan for the Heenan Lake Wildlife Area (HLWA)
Project Location: The HLWA is located about seven miles southeast of Markleeville, California in eastern Alpine County. It is in a mountainous setting on the west side of Monitor Pass and may be reached via State Highway 89 portions of, Sections 1, 2, 3, 10 and 11 in Township 9 north, Range 21 east of the Heenan Lake U.S. Geological Survey quadrangle. The area consists of Heenan Lake, Heenan Creek, and surrounding lands totaling1,652 acres.
Planning Process: The planning process was guided by the general policy parameters that direct the Department, including compliance with all state and federal laws. The Department's mission, the purpose of wildlife areas, the purpose and history of the acquisition of Heenan Lake WA, and the purposes of land management plans, provided broad direction for the development of this plan.
An environmental analysis pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) has been conducted concurrently with plan development to identify the potential environmental impacts of operating the HLWA under the provisions of this LMP. As described in the initial study/negative declaration (IS/ND) prepared for the plan under CEQA, implementing the plan would not have a significant impact on the environment. The IS/ND is included in Attachment A. The draft plan and accompanying negative declaration was submitted to the State Clearing House and was subject to public review beginning March 9, 2007 and ending April 9, 2007. Public comments were accepted after the end of the official thirty day review period to provide sufficient opportunities for interested user groups. A summary of the comments received and the Departments written responses may be found in Attachment B, "Public Comments and Department Responses" within the Final Plan.
Copies of the final documents are also available at:
North Central Regional office,
1701 Nimbus Road,
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670.
Any questions may be directed to Ms. Teri Weist, Associate Wildlife Biologist at (530) 644-5980 or email@example.com.
You can download all chapters and attachments in the of the Management Plan below in PDF format
- Cover Page
- Signature Page (Signed and Dated)
- Table of Contents
- Ch. 1 - Introduction
- Ch. 2 - Property Description
- Ch. 3 - Habitat and Species Descriptions
- Ch. 4 - Management Goals and Environmental Impacts
- Attachment A - Initial Study/Negative Declaration
- Attachment B - Public Comments and Department Responses
- Attachment C - Heenan Lake Wildlife Management Plan Study Area (Class I Archaeological Survey) (Not for public distribution)
- Attachment D - Soil Series Descriptions
- Attachment E - Complete List of Species
- Attachment F - Hatchery Operation & Water Rights Acquisition Documents (Available in Hardcopy Only)
- Attachment G - Center for Disease Control West Nile Virus Guidelines
- Notice of Determination (Signed and stamped)
The entire Management Plan (6 MB PDF) is also available for download as one file. This file does not include the signed Notice of Determination page.