Conservation and Mitigation Banking
Instructions and Templates
California’s conservation and mitigation banking program is guided by Fish and Game Code Sections 1797 - 1799. The program descriptions, policies, publications, and the links provided below are an excellent source of information regarding banking.
If you are interested in establishing a conservation or mitigation bank, please read through these pages carefully, and then contact the CDFW Regional Banking Coordinator in the area of your bank. Banking Coordinators will be happy to help you with our conservation locations of interest, current procedures, specific instructions, and documents.
Resources for Prospective Bank Sponsors
- Instructions for Bank Sponsors
- Review Process Flowchart
- Review Process Description
- Bank Submittal Form
- What Lands are Appropriate for Banking?
- Bank Site Selection Considerations
- Considerations for Banks in HCP / NCCP Areas
- Letter of Credit Template
- Bank Amendment Process Flowchart
- Bank Amendment Process Description
Bank Document Templates
In a statewide multi-agency team effort, the Department entered into a multi-agency Memorandum of Understanding in 2011 to guide how the state and federal agencies would work together to streamline processes and standardize bank document templates. The agencies represented in this template-development effort include: the California Resources Agency, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, US Army Corps of Engineers, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Environmental Protection Agency, US Department of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association - National Marine Fisheries Service.
The current joint bank document templates are:
- Bank Enabling Instrument (BEI) May 2008
- Conservation Easement (for banks) March 2010
- Long-term Management Plan May 2008
- Checklists (Draft Prospectus, Prospectus, and Draft BEI) September 2010
- Property Assessment and Warranty July 2009
Please visit the links to the left for Regional Bank Coordinator contacts, and more detailed information about conservation and mitigation banking.