- Overview / History
- Curriculum Aids
- Northern Region (includes counties of Del Norte, Humboldt, Lassen, Modoc, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama, and Trinity)
- North Central Region (includes counties of Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba)
- Bay Delta Region (includes counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma)
- Central Region (includes counties of Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus, Tuolumne, Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, and Tulare)
- South Coast Region (includes counties of Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Ventura)
- Inlands Region (includes counties of Imperial, Inyo, Mono, Riverside, and San Bernardino)
Central Region CAEP
Salmonids in the Classroom
Serving Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus, Tuolumne, Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, and Tulare counties
Salmonids in the Classroom is...
- Project-based program for grades K-12
- Students raise trout or salmon from eggs to small fish in their classrooms, and then release the fish into a local river.
- Teachers, volunteers and students cooperatively learn about the life cycle of salmon and trout, and their habitat needs.
- Program goal: By understantding the need to conserve habitats, students become stewards of local watersheds and can make informed decisions in the future.
You Can Be Involved Too!
Teachers, start participating in the program by attending a workshop. Equipment, if it is available, will be lent to you. Many teachers obtain grant money or funding through other sources for the equipment needed.
Volunteers, both short-term and long-term volunteer opportunities are available. Help is needed in a variety of ways. These include delivering eggs or equipment to classrooms, providing mechanical assistance for the equipment, classroom presentations, and assisting with field trips.
Clubs, Agencies, and Other Organizations, many organizations donate their time and/or their resources. These resources may be a meeting place or storage space for equipment that can be borrowed by teachers. Support for the program is also given as funding for equipment and other educational resources.
For more information contact:
- Salmonids in the Classroom Program Coordinator for SALMON
Serving Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus and Tuolumne counties
Gail Hickman Davis
La Grange Field Office
P.O. Box 10
La Grange, CA 95329
(209) 853-2533 ext. 8#
- Salmonids in the Classroom Program Coordinator for TROUT
Serving Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, and Tulare counties
Cheryl Moxley and Molly Schnur
1234 E. Shaw Ave.
Fresno, CA 93710
(559) 243-4014 ext. 245