CDFW GIS Links
- GIS Clearinghouse
- Interactive Map Viewers
- Web Map Services
- Software & Tools
- GIS/GPS Support Documents
- Marine Region GIS
Related GIS Links
Department of Fish & Wildlife
Biogeographic Data Branch
1807 13th Street, Suite 202
Sacramento, CA 95811
(916) 322-2493 • Email BDB
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
The Biogeographic Data Branch GIS Unit assists Department staff with the collection, documentation, analysis and distribution of spatial data needed to support good conservation decisions. The GIS Unit is comprised of the GIS Service Center and our embedded Branch support analysts.
GIS Service Center
The GIS Service Center focuses on:
- The GIS Clearinghouse and other data acquisition, distribution and standards issues
- Internet Map Viewers like BIOS and the Fishing Guide
- Internet Map Services like NAIP imagery and custom digital topo maps.
- GIS software and tools
- GIS/GPS support documents
- GPS equipment and training
The embedded analysts provide on-site GIS expertise within the Branches of the Department:
- Fisheries Branch: GIS is utilized for Recovery Planning, Stocking, Distributions, Fishing Regulations, etc.
- Habitat Conservation Branch: GIS is utilized for Conservation Area tracking, Habitat modeling, etc.
- Water Branch: GIS is utilized for Restoration Planning, Delta-wide analysis, etc.
- Wildlife Branch: GIS is utilized for species tracking, Wildlife Area mapping, Land Acquisition, etc.
- Office of Spill Prevention and Response (OSPR): GIS is utilized during drills and spills, for tracking sensitive areas to avoid, etc.
Additionally, each Region within DFG has its own GIS staff. The following Regions have websites dedicated to their GIS work: